Responsive Ad Area

Outbreak

Nova Scotia reports one new death, 163 new cases of COVID-19

Nova Scotia health officials reported 163 new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday and one more death — a man in his 70s in the central health zone.That death brings the total number of COVID-19-related fatalities in the province to 71.“Another family is suffering the loss of a loved one, and on behalf of all Nova Scotians, I want to offer my condolences,” said Premier Iain Rankin in a release. “Our province is at a serious point in the pandemic.“The actions of every single Nova Scotian are critical right now.” “Everyone has a role to play. So, let’s do it together. Let’s get this virus under control.” Story continues below advertisement Of the new cases, 134 are in the central health zone, 13 are in the northern health zone, eight are in the eastern health zone and eight are in the western healt...

COVID-19: Tenants of Hamilton high-rise say narrative of ‘socialization’ amid pandemic ‘false’

Tenants of a downtown Hamilton high-rise — which in the midst of a major COVID-19 outbreak — are disputing public health’s assessment that it’s been caused by “socialization”.On Friday, members of the Rebecca Towers tenant committee gathered out front of the 17-storey apartment building and accused their landlord of contributing to the spread of the virus within the complex.“The city didn’t even bother to talk to the tenants and ask us what is going on. They just took the landlord’s word for it,” said Emily Power, speaking on behalf of the committee.“This is very disrespectful. This created a false narrative in the media that the tenants in this building are negligent. In fact, the majority of people who live in the building take COVID very seriously.”Power said most tenants at the 164-uni...

8 new cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick, including 2 out of province

New Brunswick announced eight new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, including two travel-related cases outside of the province.There are three new cases in Zone 1, the Moncton region, involving two people in their 20s and one person in their 30s. Those cases are close contacts of previously-reported cases.One new case is in Zone 2, the Saint John region, involving a person in their 50s. That case is travel-related.There are three new cases in Zone 6, the Bathurst region, involving two people in their 50s and one person in their 60s. One case is travel-related, one is a close contact of a previously reported case and one is under investigation.And there is one new travel-related case in Zone 7, the Miramichi region, involving a person in their 50s. Story continues below advertisement It’s unclea...

1 dead, 55 COVID-19 cases tied to outbreak at central Hamilton apartment complex

Public health officials say “close contact between apartment residents” appears to be the cause of a large COVID-19 outbreak at a 17-storey apartment building in central Hamilton.In a release on Tuesday afternoon, the city said paramedics will be making a trip to Rebecca Towers on Rebecca Street and Wellington Street North on Thursday to test all residents in the complex.The surge involves 55 total cases and one death since mid-March. Officials say there are currently 28 active cases in the surge.“These cases are spread across 17 different units on 10 separate floors,” the city said in its statement.An investigation revealed socializing between individuals from different units and it’s believed to be the common factor contributing to the transmission between households, according to public...

COVID-19: Fleming College moves ahead with Severn Court Student Residence outbreak investigation

While Peterborough Public Health and Peterborough police have ended investigations into the deadly outbreak of COVID-19 at Severn Court Student Residence, Fleming College is now embarking on its own investigation.The college hired a former police officer from a homicide unit to help with the investigation into the parties on Feb. 20 that led to Peterborough’s largest outbreak to date and the death of Zachary Root, a 31-year-old Fleming College student who lived at the privately-owned residence.“He’s just completed his report and he’s had very great cooperation from everyone involved,” college president Maureen Adamson tells Global News Peterborough.“We also had a line where folks could call in anonymously and help with the investigation. That report was completed as recently as last week a...

COVID-19 outbreak declared at Kelowna’s Sandalwood Retirement Resort

Posted April 23, 2021 4:44 pm Eleven people have tested positive for COVID-19 at Kelowna’s Sandalwood Retirement Resort, prompting Interior Health to declare an outbreak.The health authority said one person has died from the virus.In total, 10 residents and one staff member tested positive for COVID-19, according to a news release.Interior Health said contact tracing is underway and anyone in close contact with any of the individuals is being told to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms.The health authority also said it’s carrying out additional testing. Story continues below advertisement Interior Health said communicable disease specialists and a clinical operations team will monitor the situation at the independent living residence, which is operated by Regency Resorts. 2:33COVID-19 va...

Grand Bay-Westfield special care home residents relocated amid COVID-19 outbreak

The residents of a Grand Bay-Westfield special care home where a COVID-19 outbreak has been declared are doing well, facility staff say.New Brunswick’s Department of Health declared the outbreak at Murray Street Lodge in a release Wednesday, stating that the Provincial Rapid Outbreak Management Team (PROMT) has been sent for support.Murray Street Lodge is licensed for up to 13 residents, but none are actually at the facility Thursday.“In order to isolate properly, sometimes if you have a smaller facility it’s impossible,” says Jan Seely, president of New Brunswick’s Special Care Home Association.“So they’ve all been moved to a new location and are being treated with clinicians and being taken care of with the staff from Murray Street. Story continues below advertisement “Everybody is there...

COVID-19 outbreak declared over at Vernon’s hospital

Interior Health has declared the COVID-19 outbreak over at Vernon Jubilee Hospital’s Level 3 surgical unit.In total, four staff and 10 patients were connected to the outbreak, which was first declared on March 30.Three people died after becoming infected with the virus.The surgical unit has since reopened to admissions, and essential visitor regulations have resumed for all patients, according to the health authority.“We are happy to see operations returning to normal and on behalf of everyone at Interior Health, send our condolences to the loved ones and caregivers of those who passed away,” said Interior Health president and CEO Susan Brown. Story continues below advertisement Health officials are reminding people to continue to physical distance, stick to household bubbles, wear a mask ...

Southwest Saskatchewan outdoor gathering outbreak raises red flags

Throughout the pandemic, the message has been that outdoors is safer than indoors when it comes to meeting up with other people.But with the Saskatchewan Health Authority (SHA) linking an outbreak to an albeit “large outdoor gathering” and more transmissible COVID-19 variants on the rise, epidemiologist Nazeem Muhajarine warns people to take extra precautions.“It is still safe,” Muhajarine told Global News Thursday. “But if you are going to be outside, don’t get together with large groups of people for a long time, particularly without a mask, particularly in close quarters.”On Wednesday, the SHA prepared a statement that said a medical health officer had declared an outbreak in relation to an outside event that took place in Saskatchewan’s southwest, and that at least 21 coronavirus cases...

Kelowna Rockets cleared to resume team activities after team cohort tests negative for COVID-19

After a Western Hockey League mandated quarantine period of 14 days, the Kelowna Rockets stepped onto the ice at Prospera Place Wednesday morning for a light skate.On March 30, a member of the team’s hockey staff tested positive for the coronavirus and the WHL announced a suspension of all team activities for the Rockets.The shutdown resulted in the postponement of the Tuesday, March 30, game at Prospera Place against the Kamloops Blazers.On March 31, after six more positive COVID-19 tests within the Rocket’s team cohort, the WHL revealed that the Rocket’s suspension of team activity would last for 14 days.READ MORE: Kelowna Rockets’ activities suspended for 14 days following 6 COVID-19 positive tests: WHLDuring the 14-day period of self-isolation, another member of the team cohort also te...

COVID-19: Epidemiologist warns against reopening Atlantic travel bubble

An epidemiologist in Newfoundland and Labrador believes the Atlantic travel bubble should be put on the back burner until an outbreak of COVID-19 in the Edmundston, N.B., area is brought under control.The travel bubble concept was used last summer when coronavirus case counts in all four Atlantic provinces were considered low. Residents of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland and Labrador and Prince Edward Island were allowed to travel freely between provinces without being required to self-isolate.It lasted about five months until case counts, particularly in New Brunswick, began to climb in November.Atlantic premiers had previously set a target date of April 19 to re-engage the Atlantic bubble, but that was before an outbreak in and around the city of Edmundston. Story continues belo...

Kingston’s Breakwater Park to close due to COVID-19 outbreak in university district

The city of Kingston has announced it will close Breakwater Park, along the waterfront, to prevent overcrowding. The moves comes following an announcement by KFL&A Public Health yesterday about an outbreak of COVID-19 in the adjacent university district.“I have issued an emergency order to close Breakwater Park effective today for a 10-day period. This timeline coincides with students move-out, but can be extended if needed. As one of our most popular community parks, closing it is a last resort,” says Mayor Bryan Paterson.As of Thursday, the new Queen’s outbreak involves 70 active cases found in young adults aged 18 to 29. Infections linked to the outbreak currently make up more than 70 per cent of the active cases in the region, the health unit said. Story continues below advertisem...

Skip to toolbar