Responsive Ad Area

Featured News

‘The worst is yet to come’, report warns as Ontario food banks see rise in first-time users

A newly-released report says it’s believed “the worst is yet to come” as Ontario’s food banks recorded seeing an overall 26.5 per cent increase in first-time users within the first four months of the COVID-19 pandemic.The same report found nearly half of food bank visitors said they’re worried about getting evicted or defaulting on mortgage payments in the coming months, while more than 93 per cent reported borrowing money, accessing a payday loan or using credit to help pay for monthly necessities.“As people’s budgets are being stressed even further, this really shows us that people are at great risk for being evicted and at a great risk for homelessness,” said Carolyn Stewart, the executive director of Feed Ontario, an organization that represents food banks in the province. Story contin...

At-cost delivery app touted as lifeline for Vancouver’s restaurants amid COVID restrictions

As B.C. faces a second wave of COVID-19 restrictions, one Vancouver restauranteur is touting an homegrown, at-cost delivery app as a way to keep the industry afloat.It comes amid uncertainty about when B.C.’s newly reelected NDP government will impose a promised cap on delivery fees to the major players in the sector.Brandon Grossutti, owner of Pidgin Restaurant, started working on FromTo.ca last spring, as restaurants shifted primarily to delivery amid COVID-19 restrictions.Major third-party delivery apps like SkipTheDishes and UberEats charge restaurants a 30 per cent fee on orders, meaning a $100 order costs the restaurant $30.That can mean some orders actually come at a loss. Story continues below advertisement 2:12Coronavirus: Vancouver restaurant welcomes new mandatory masks rules Co...

19 confirmed cases of COVID-19 at an elementary school in East York

The Toronto District School Board has confirmed to Global News that there are 19 positive cases of COVID-19 linked to Thorncliffe Park Public School.The board says 433 tests were completed on staff and students on Thursday and Friday.Eighteen students and one staff member tested positive for the virus.This comes days after, the Ontario government launched a pilot project for voluntary COVID-19 testing of students and staff without symptoms in schools.Principal Jeff Crane sent a letter to parents Sunday evening. Trending Stories “The positivity rate within the school is approximately 4% which is significantly less than the 16% positivity rate within the Thorncliffe Park community,” he said. Story continues below advertisement Ryan Bird,  a spokesperson for the TDSB tells Global News that th...

Calls for ‘Dr. Henry of sport’ amid confusion over new B.C. restrictions

A Victoria karate school operator is calling for a “Dr. Henry of sport” amid confusion over whether some combat sports are allowed to continue amid the latest COVID-19 health orders.Richard Mosdell closed his Kenzen Sports Club last week at the direction of health inspectors, but said other clubs continue to operate amid what he calls unclear messaging.“It almost seems like some clubs are defying Dr. (Bonnie) Henry’s order, but in reality they’re just confused as to what exactly does it mean,” he said.“I don’t think anyone is trying to skirt the rules.”On Wednesday, the province updated its province-wide restrictions, to include a ban on all indoor group physical activities, including martial arts, gymnastics and cheerleading. Story continues below advertisement 1:58Coronavirus: B.C. club ...

Saskatoon high schoolers go viral with COVID-19 cover of ‘Crabbuckit’

A group of Saskatoon high-schoolers have gone viral for their band performance all about making music amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.With COVID-19 restrictions, students at Marion Graham Collegiate didn’t have any upcoming concerts or shows to practice for; so they put together their own version of the k-os hit Crabbuckit.In the video, students are sitting apart, some with masks pushed up so they can play instruments, and some instruments are equipped with covers over the bell to keep in air.“You’re used to having a really big band, but we couldn’t do that, so there were about 12 of us I think in that group of people. We were all over six feet apart and we had our band masks and bell covers,” Grade 11 student Mira Behl said. Story continues below advertisement Under these conditions, ...

Coronavirus: Canada’s COVID-19 death toll has now surpassed 12K

Deaths from the novel coronavirus in Canada surpassed another grim milestone Sunday, as the country’s death toll from the virus topped 12,000.News of 56 more virus deaths comes amid another 5,468 new cases, which pushes Canada’s total COVID-19 infections to 370,014. Over 292,000 people have since recovered from the virus, while 14,493,884 tests have been administered.Sunday’s data provides a limited snapshot of COVID-19’s spread across the country however, with B.C., P.E.I. and both Yukon and Northwest Territories not reporting new case figures over the weekend.According to the latest epidemiological information available from Health Canada, which is comprised of data analyzing just over 11,600 deaths, seniors remained among the vast majority of COVID-19-related fatalities in the country. ...

Over 3,200 COVID-19 claims made to Workers’ Compensation Board of Alberta since March

The Workers’ Compensation Board of Alberta has received 3,209 COVID-19 claims since the pandemic started.Of those claims, 2,164 have been accepted, 646 rejected and 399 are either pending or under review.“In the case of a pandemic, it’s widely accepted that most of the general population is at risk of exposure,” WCB Alberta spokesperson Ben Dille said.“What we are looking for is whether or not the actual employment environment, the job itself, led to an increased risk of exposure.” The manufacturing sector has the highest claim volume with 1,260 — followed by education, health and municipal government with 1,044 in those sectors combined.At the bottom of the list, construction with 60 claims and oil and gas with 33 claims. Story continues below advertisement There have been 3,209 total wor...

Parents anxious as Surrey school closed by COVID-19 prepares to reopen

Teachers, parents and students are preparing for a return to the classroom at a Surrey school, shuttered earlier this month due to a COVID-19 outbreak.Cambridge Elementary was closed for two weeks on Nov. 14 after at least seven cases, including at least one teacher, were confirmed.With the reopening coming just days after Surrey’s latest school outbreak, Rani Senghera, president of the school’s parent advisory committee and mother of two students, says everyone is anxious.Many parents are planning on keeping their kids at home until after the winter break, she said. 4:19Surrey school shutdown by COVID-19 outbreak prepares to reopen Surrey school shutdown by COVID-19 outbreak prepares to reopen “They have no faith that anything has changed,” she said. Story continues below advertisement Pa...

Alberta records 1,608 COVID-19 cases Sunday, 9 seniors die including 5 at Edmonton care centre

Alberta announced another 1,608 cases of COVID-19 Sunday and reported nine deaths, all of whom were seniors.There are now 15,692 active cases in the province, mainly in the two largest metro centres, with 7,230 or 46 per cent of active cases in Edmonton zone and 5,756 or 36 per cent of all active cases in Calgary zone.Sunday’s nine reported deaths bring the provincial fatality total to 533.Five of the nine seniors who died were at the Edmonton Chinatown Care Centre.The Edmonton Chinatown Care Centre was added to the provincial outbreak list on Oct. 20. The last public update the centre gave was on Saturday, when it said 32 residents were positive with COVID-19. There are also 36 staff members at the centre with active COVID-19 cases. Story continues below advertisement Those connected to t...

Ottawa extending travel restrictions for foreign nationals until end of January

Ottawa is extending a slew of travel restrictions and rules meant to curb the spread of the coronavirus pandemic into the new year as case counts continue their steady rise across the country.Public Safety Minister Bill Blair and Health Minister Patty Hajdu say the rules, first imposed near the beginning of the global outbreak, will now be in effect until Jan. 21, 2021 for travellers entering Canada from a country other than the United States.The ministers say restrictions for visitors crossing the border from the U.S. are currently in place until Dec. 21, but may be extended.Among the rules is a requirement for anyone entering the country to self-isolate for 14 days upon entry into Canada.But the ministers also say they’re looking to make it possible for “high-performance, amateur sportin...

Canadian Armed Forces deployed to Saskatchewan in emergency response to COVID-19

As cases of COVID-19 continue to surge throughout Saskatchewan, the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) will be assisting the province in providing emergency humanitarian aid.Last week, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces responded to a request for assistance by a First Nation community in the province’s far north east.The Canadian Rangers from the 4th Canadian Ranger Patrol Group (4 CRPG) will be responsible for assisting the Hatchet Lake Denesuline First Nation.For 30 days, they will provide support to the community in the production and distribution of real-life-support such as food, firewood and care packages, says the Department of National Defence. Story continues below advertisement They will also help deliver information from community, provincial and federal g...

Nova Scotia reports 1 new coronavirus case at school in Kings County

Nova Scotia is reported one additional case of COVID-19 on Sunday, connected to the Northeast Kings Education Centre in Canning, Kings. Co., in Western Zone.According to the province, the school has been closed since the first case was announced on Nov. 24.READ MORE: 10 new coronavirus cases reported in Nova Scotia on Sunday“The public health investigation in the coming days will determine whether this case was a close contact of the first confirmed case,” said the province in a press release. [ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ] Given the school has been closed, public health said “this case is not believed to have been in school while infectious.” Trending Stories 1:48Front-line workers prepare for stress of second wave of COVID-19 Front-line worker...

Skip to toolbar